Monday, February 22, 2010

Coming of Age with the Internet

McMillian and Morrison: "Coming of Age with the Internet"


As I started reading this article, to be quite honest my mind went into its own world. I found the article to be a bit boring but after reading the article I do agree with the points made. Teenagers are using the internet for about everything. But yet they are not alone, I believe that the internet is something everyone is connected to and can be addicted to it. I myself am addicted to the internet, if I'm not looking up information for a class on wikipedia or on facebook or checking my email to keep in touch with friends or family, I am doing something on the internet. Although the internet has its negatives and positives, I feel as though there are more positives towards the internet. One positive it is a great way to keep in touch with others, like my father uses Facebook to keep in touch with his family in Africa and sends emails to keep in touch with his friends in the US. A negative is how the internet can influence the young teens, like my younger brother is addicted to the internet, uses it for educational information and personal interest. I feel as though the internet gives people the chance to be someone they're not. Have the chance to speak about a certain topic or what about something their passionate about, like starting a blog or writing fictional stories. In today's society, the internet has a bigger impact on people than it did when it first started.

Here's a video from the Tyra Banks Show an episode called: I'm Addicted to the Internet




3 comments:

Kaima-Dunbar said...

lol i saw that Tyra show .. its crazy cuz im the same way with texting and if i loose my phone forget about it .. GOOD VIDEO!

Samantha said...

Awesome how Tyra tells Candace how awesome of a spirit she has and that people would love to have her in her "actual" presence! Also, I am guilty of jumping on the internet when a computer is right in front of my face, I mean come on its right there!!

Amanda said...

I like the video. Especially with the hidden camera in the room. That was funny because I know I would've done the same thing. Especially when you're sitting right in front of it.